This paper describes a new pull-based production system called CONWIP. Practical advantages of CONWIP over push and other pull systems are given. Theoretical arguments in favour of the system are outlined and simulation studies are included to give insight into the system’s performance.
- BONDI, A. 8., and WHITT, W., 1986, The influence of service-time variability in a closed network of queues. Performance Evaluation, 6, 219-234.
- GOLDRATT, E. M., 1988, Computerized shop floor scheduling. International Journal of Production Research, 26, 443-455.
- GOLDRATT, E. M., and FOX, R. E., 1986, The Race (New York: North River Press, Croton-on Hudson).
- GRAVES, S. C., 1988, Safety stocks in manufacturing systems. Journal of Manufacturing and Operations Management, 1, 67-101.
- HALL, W. R., 1981, Driving the Productivity Machine: Production Planning and Control in Japan (Falls Church, Virginia: American Production and Inventory Control Society).
- HALL, W. R., 1983, Zero Inventories (Homewood, Illinois: Dow Jones-Irwin).
- HOPP, W. J., SPEARMAN, MARK L., and WOODRUFF, DAVID L., 1988, Practical strategies for lead time reduction, Technical Report 88-23, Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- KANET, J. J., 1984, Inventory planning at Black and Decker. Production and Inventory Managment, 25, (3).
- KANET, JOHN J., 1988, MRP 96: Time to rethink manufacturing logistics. Production and Inventory Management Journal, 29, 57-61.
- KARMARKER, U. S., 1987, Lot sizes, lead times and in-process inventories. Management Science, 33, 409-423.
- KIMURA, 0., and TERADA, H., 1981, Design and analysis of pull system, a method of multi-stage production control. International Journal of Production Research, 19, 241-253.
- KREJEWSKI, L. J., KING, B. E., RITZMAN, L. P., and WONG, D. S., 1987, Kanban, MRP, and shaping the manufacturing environment. Management Sciences, 33, 39-57.
- MONDEN, Y., 1983, Toyota Production System: Practical Approach to Management (Industrial Engineering and Management Press, Norcross, GA).
- SCHONBERGER, R. J., 1986, World Class Manufacturing: The Lessons of Simplicity Applied (New York: The Free Press).
- SOLBERG, J. J., 1977, A mathematical model of computerized manufacturing systems. Processing of the 4th International Conference on Production Research, Tokyo, Japan.
- SURI, R., 1983, The robustness of queueing network formulas. Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, 30, 564–594.
- SPEARMAN, MARK L., and ZAZANIS, MICHAEL A., 1988, Push and pull production systems: Issues and comparisons, Technical Report 88-24, Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- VOLLMANN, T. E., BERRY, W. L., and WHYBARK, D. C, 1984, Manufacturing Planning and Control Systems, (Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin).
- WHITT, W., 1984, Open and closed models for networks of queues, AT & T Bell Laboratory Technical Journal, 63, 1911-1978.
- WIGHT, O., 1970, Input/output control a real handle on lead time. Production and Inventory Management Journal, 11 (3), 9-31.